Monday, April 17, 2017

Outdoor Design Inspiration from Ojai

Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-2

We made a very quick visit to Ojai over the weekend. It’s a small town about an hour and a half north of L.A. Even though I was only there for about 24 hours I saw so many things that sparked inspiration for me for different aspect of my home and work. Much of the architecture in Ojai is Spanish-style, and the town has a very boho-flavor. Since my home is also Spanish-style I always pay close attention to neat architectural details to glean ideas for our home and yard.

Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-1

Our home is still enclosed by a chain-link fence.  We plan to change that and some other aspects of our yard this year, and so I loved looking at all of these arched walls, patterned steps and cool doorways to think about adopting some ideas for our yard update and chain-link replacement.

chevron-door

Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-3 Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-4  Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-6

I loved this yard so much. The idea of separating the home from the street with a low, winding wall with cacti, euphorbia, agave and aloe really got my wheels churning since up until now I was imagining a wall similar to this but like 5 ft. tall. This is so much more inviting but the plants help deter unwanted folks (and animals) from crossing over into the house–and plus they’re just so beautiful. Also, loving the teal trim on that French door and how it recalls the teal colors in the plants. So pretty, huh?

Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-7 Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-8

Also, there is this one wall right off the main drag with five of these fan aloes in bloom. They are a favorite plant of mine and add so much life to the street! I definitely want to plant some on our yard along our wall, too.     Justina-Blakeney-Ojai-13

Hope you all had a nice Holiday weekend!



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2pJVA1x

No comments:

Post a Comment