Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Jungalow by The River Update: New Shelving Unit

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-18

Our living room is one of the smallest rooms in the house, plus it has our entryway and breakfast bar in it, making it even more difficult to design around. For many, many months we’ve wanted to put in some kind of shelving unit to host our books and favorite art objects and we finally pulled the trigger.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-1

We designed this shelving unit and had it built from reclaimed Douglas Fir by Treeline Woodworks. It was kinda pricey to have made at $1800, but I could not be happier with the results and here’s why. I was very worried that whatever we put here would impede the flow of our entryway since it’s basically right at our front door. We addressed this issue by making the edges on the far end of the unit, rounded. Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-3

With the rounded edges it doesn’t feel like you’re walking into a big piece of furniture with sharp corners. Instead, it kind of tricks the eye into thinking it’s part of the structure of the home, like a built-in. It also makes it easy to turn and go into our TV room, which is right beyond the shelf.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-10

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-2

The shelves are also visible from our kitchen, and kind of continue the conversation between the kitchen and the living room since the shelves mirror the ones that we had built in there.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-4

Our art books and many of my favorite objects had been in storage in our garage for almost two years so I can’t tell you how much fun I had pulling everything out and styling up our new shelves.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-6

I used a lot of pieces made from natural materials, like terra cotta, lots of objects that symbolize of love, family and togetherness for me, and of course, added some of my favorite planties to the mix.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-5

I found those vintage kokeshi doll lamps at the flea last week. They won’t stay here seeing as how it makes no sense to have lamps in a shelving unit like this, but they looked so cute there I couldn’t resist. Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-8 Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-9

We spent quite a bit of time designing the height of each compartment and staggering the shelves in such a way that they felt quirky and asymmetrical but still were very useful and functional. We used the good ol’ tape-on-the-wall method to spec it out.

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-11 Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-12   Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-15

The little mad and women terra cotta figurines are from Mali and are from the ’60’s. I’m so obsessed with them.

style-your-shelves

If you wanna get a similar vibe going on your shelves at home, I’ve pulled some favorite vintage pieces that echo some of my favorite pieces from our partner site, Chairish. Uncover all of my favorite vintage finds on Chairish, right here.

 

Justina-Blakeney-Shelves-17

I’m pleased as punch! The curved edge here at the bottom makes me giddy in a really nerdy way.
Hope your week is off to a great start. xx ~J



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2pw2Fq7

No comments:

Post a Comment