Thursday, June 9, 2016

Creating Images that resonate on Pinterest

Justina Blakeney's Jungalow Studio
98,000 repins
Have you guys noticed some changes with Pinterest lately? I logged on last week to find that they changed how ‘repins’ are counted. Now, it seems that instead of showing how many pins each individual pinned image receives, Pinterest now calculates how many pins that image has received in total on Pinterest as a whole which is pretty cool for us designers/bloggers/creative types because it allows us to see just how many repins an image has site-wide.

This can provide us with many insights. For example, if you do a photoshoot of the same room from lots of different angles, you can see which angle performed the best and from there, try and discern why that photo performed better than the others. For example, the above photo of my studio got 98,000 repins, while this other images from that shoot got between 3,000-20,000 repins. This gives me the opportunity to evaluate why I think this image resonated so much more than the others and try out similar strategies for future shoots.

Below, I’ve snooped around on Pinterest to find some of my post repinned images ever. The results are pretty interesting, especially because I know it’s not just about my audience (who I know loves color, pattern and plants…) but it’s about Pinterest as a whole. Let’s take a look…

Quirky Ceramics

This pic of a collection of plants in quirky jars got 65.1K repins. People LOVE cacti and succulents. Fact.

Patio - Justina Blakeney
This snap of my patio got 36.3K repins. I find that bright colors and patterns outdoors really resonates.

Spot on the wall by Justina Blakeney
This ‘spot on the wall’ that I designed for a client did great with 28.5K repins. This doesn’t surprise me too much because it’s a simple idea with a DIY tie-in and that type of stuff always does well.
Statement Leaves Glosssary
23.2 K repins

Usually, I find that collaged images don’t perform as well on Pinterest — but this one seems to be doing just fine! Why do you think that is? Perhaps the fact that the collage is very long and lean so it gets a lot of Pinterest real-estate when scrolling through the feed?

Flowers by Justina Blakeney
These flowers got 17.5K repins. Not bad for a simple flower collage I snapped with my iphone.
Justina Blakeney's Kitchen
All of the photos of my kitchen performed very well on Pinterest, but for whatever reason, this one received more that twice the amount of all the other pins with 102,000 repins.

One thing about the change that is taking some getting used to, is that it’s difficult to see how my followers are responding to the pins because I can no longer count the amount of repins from my boards specifically. So, what do you think? Do you like this change on Pinterest? Do you think that this change will help to create imagery that will resonate more? I’m excited to experiment a bit and see what happens…

 

 



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/1tdyMbT

No comments:

Post a Comment