Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Masks on walls

Our Aja Periwinkle Wallpaper featuring 2 African Masks from the Akan people of Ghana

I have had a long lasting love affair with masks. Maybe it’s all that theater I did in high school and college, but I love the mystery that masks hold, what I feel like when I’m wearing one and how it transforms me, and the energy they give off when on display, especially in concert with other masks. In many cultures, masks are used in rituals and are a central part of  traditional ceremonies–they are believed to carry the spirits of their makers, or of ancestors, or even of gods.

African masks are particularly inspiring to me — and of course, were a major jumping-off point for many “Modernists” of the 20th century and greatly influenced works of painters like Picasso and Matisse.

The above pic is actually from my wedding day, when Jason and his best men/lady were getting dressed in our home and had some fun with some pieces from our personal mask collection.

Masks can be tricky though. They are so powerful. Sometimes they can teeter on looking a bit creepy to me, and personally, I’m not about creepy vibes in my home or on my walls, so I’ve learned to pinpoint masks that give off the kind vibes I want in my home. Of course this will vary from home to home, person to person, but I’ve selected some favorites that I find particularly inspiring from our partner site, Chairish.

How do you feel about hanging masks on your walls?



from Jungalow https://ift.tt/2BwqQf7

No comments:

Post a Comment