Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Art Deco Inspiration from the Wiltern Theater and beyond

Art Deco, the style that first emerged in France in the earlier part of the 20th Century is back in a major way. Art Deco combines styles from around the globe (Mayan, Ancient Egyptian and Chinese influences are often very apparent) with geometric shapes, bright colors, and cubism, among other things. Over the weekend I went to a concert at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles and I tripped out at the beauty of the architecture, colors and finishes.

The Wiltern Theatre is an Art Deco landmark at the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue in Los Angeles, (thus the name Wil-tern). Surprisingly I had never been there, and while the concerts themselves that I went to see were pretty kickass (No Age and The Voidz were playing) the theater itself stole my heart. Originally built in 1931, the Wiltern was designed by architect Stiles O. Clements of Morgan, Walls & Clements, the city’s oldest architectural firm. In 1981 architect Brenda Levin restored the theater.
 

The color, shapes and mood conveyed buy the art on the ceiling were simply spectacular — but the water fountain, house in that niche with the scalloped edges might just have been the most inspiring detail to me.

I’ve pulled some of the colors from the theater that I’m sure will influence my current design work :

And here are some furniture pieces that can be found on 1st Dibs that will also be inspiring future designs I’m working on for 2020. (word of caution the prices are not for the faint of heart…)

1.) sofa

2.) desk set with lamp

3.) sunburst mirror

4.) arched Rug 

5.) rectangular rug

6.) lounge chairs with Josef Frank fabric

What do you think? Have you been seeing Art Deco inspired pieces pop up lately?



from Jungalow http://bit.ly/2HSXdaZ

No comments:

Post a Comment