Monday, June 12, 2017

Introducing our Justina Blakeney Home fabrics!

My fabric line with Valdese Weavers is here. I don’t say that lightly.  I started out in the Home Decor industry as as a blogger and often times that has made me feel like an outsider. But truth be told, I never really wanted to be a traditional interior designer. I never loved the client/decorator relationship. I always felt like my creativity was stifled and unlike many designers I know, I didn’t enjoy the challenge of designing to someone else’s taste. But what I did enjoy (SO MUCH!!!) was tapping into my own creativity to ignite passion and creativity in others. That’s why I love to blog — I love to express my own creative ambition through painting, writing, photography, drawing, creating unexpected pairings, styling and by simply following my creative heart wherever it takes me.

I feel that this fabric line really symbolizes a conceptual break-through for me. My blog and books really aren’t just about decorating (and filling your home with plants! Ha!) My aim has always been to try and inspire folks to tap into their own personalities and creativity. I feel that this fabric line is a natural extension of that goal. I feel I can help to add color and pattern (and hopefully a jolt of jungalicious fun!) to homes while being witness to your creativity and tastes. I cannot wait to see what will you make with these fabrics and see what creative ways will they appear in your homes!! That’s what really lights me up!

The process of designing this line was one of great creative satisfaction. I worked very, very closely with the expert team at Valdese to create this collection of Jacquard textiles. I visited the mill in North Carolina to see first-hand how the gigantic looms, in their rapid movements, bring these fabrics to life. While all of the fabrics started out as one of my line drawings, paintings or collages, the amazing design team at Valdese added so many incredible little details in terms of texture to each piece. I’m learning so much from all of them (Amanda! Christy! Linsday! Laura! Ann! Lee! Sara! Everyone!! Thank you all SO SO SO much for taking me under your wings). All of the fabrics have so much movement, so many unexpected (and gorgeous!!) color pairings, details and a very luxurious hand, they each work on their own or they can layer together to get that super collected/boho feel that looks very eclectic and jungalcious.

I’m going to be doing another post later on this week about the-making-of the collection, but in the mean time I am seriously OVER-THE-MOON to announce that the collection is currently available at Fabric.com. I know I already have some major re-upholstery plans for a couple of chairs, I’m making some throw pillows and I want to commision a blazer made out of the Quinn and / or Om.

I also would like to take a moment to publicly thank and recognize Brek Jacobsen who played a huge part in bringing this collection to life. We lost him way too soon, he passed away just last week right before the launch of this line. His positive vibes and deep knowledge and expertise reverberate throughout each yarn in this collection. We are making a donation to the Cancer Research Institute in Brek’s name. Brek, you deeply are missed and I’m forever grateful for your instrumental role in bringing this dream of mine to fruition. 



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2skT8Ur

No comments:

Post a Comment