Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Before & After, Our Entryways

This post is created in partnership with Schlage

lr-schlage-4

Little things make a big difference. We talk about that a ton in design, but it’s even more true when thinking about the rhythms of daily life. We all make repeated actions on a daily basis, for example we get out of bed, take a shower, have a coffee, go to work…

When those repeated actions are fluid and flow, the day flows — but when those repeated actions are blocked (say you kick over a glass when you step out of bed, there is no hot water left for your shower, you are out of coffee filters, your car won’t start…) the whole day can feel blocked.

I think good design, at its core, is really about making those small repeated actions go as smoothly as possible in your home. When we don’t have to interrupt the flow of the day by searching for lost keys, or stepping over or around items that are poorly placed, the energy in the home (and you in it!) is fluid, and your day is full of open possibilities.

lr-schlage-17

We recently switched out the hardware on the front and side doors of our home. Often times when designers talk about hardware it’s all aesthetic. “Hardware is the jewelry of the home” I often hear people say. And while I love the look of our new Schlage hardware, it’s not just the look of it that I’m excited about. It’s about how it takes one tedious small repeated action in my daily life, and turns it into a pleasure. The door opens with a code instead of a key. I didn’t even realize this was even a thing.

I don’t need house keys anymore and I’m not mad about it. I am one of those mamas with a huge mama purse. I am always carrying loads of stuff when coming and going into the home and now I don’t have to put everything down and dig through my bag for my keys. I just punch in the code. We have a code for Ida’s grandmother so she can come and go as needed, we have a code for our next door neighbor for when she feeds our planties and kitty if we are out of town. No more hiding keys, copying keys etc.

lr-schlage-7

The new hardware inspired us to redo the whole porch in the front and the side of our house.

before-after-entryway

We painted, planted and placed some fun jungalicious accessories around. You can see the before and afters in the above and below pics. I still have plans to tile out here and maybe paint some more too — but in the mean time I love all of our little improvements.

before-after

lr-schlage-12

I found this macrame planter at the Rose Bowl last weekend. Looking at it makes me very happy.

lr-schlage-13

Now coming and going into our little Jungalow by The River is such an all-around more pleasurable experience. lr-schlage-23

Now if Schlage could just figure out how to remedy my whole coffee filter situation….

You can check out this video to learn more about the Schlage products and features.
We used Schlage Touch™ Keyless Touchscreen Deadbolt with Camelot trim, the Camelot Front Entry Handle and Accent Lever  and thePlymouth Knob with Camelot trim Keyed Entry Lock.

This post was created in partnership with Schlage. Woot woot. All opinions are my own.
Photography by J. Blakeney 

 

 



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2f4MoCe

No comments:

Post a Comment