Monday, March 19, 2018

In the mix: Creating a dynamic, layered gallery in your home

The Home of Erica Tanov as seen in our book The New Bohemians. Photo by Dabito.

I’m a sucker for mucho art on the walls. I am a maximalist after all. I love unexpected galleries that combine great framed art pieces with textured pieces: baskets, unusual mirrors, chunky necklaces, masks, floating shelves to house quirky mementos etc.

I find that the most interesting gallery walls contain a lot of contrasting elements. When putting togather a dynamic gallery, here are some things I think about:

  1. Diversity of shape: I like to mingle round/oval items (like baskets and masks) and amorphous items with square and rectangular artworks
  2. Color Cohesion:  I like to think about the overall color palette of the art / objects and make sure that the colors ‘speak’ to one another
  3. Mix vintage with new: When it comes to art, I like to combine vintage/thrifted/collected pieces with artworks and prints from contemporary artists.
  4. Placement: Once I have all the items, I like to arrange them on the floor first to find good placement. Then get your leveler and go to town.


We’ve rounded up some of our favorite new and vintage pieces for a dynamic gallery wall above. All these pieces are from our partner site, Chairish. They have a new print shop, too with lots of eclectic contemporary pieces to match with the vintage finds. Check out all of my favorites right here. Now go get your gallery on!

 



from Jungalow http://ift.tt/2Ga87r7

No comments:

Post a Comment