Monday, March 13, 2017

Baskets from Burundi

Burundi-baskets

I made my monthly pilgrimage to the Rosebowl flea yesterday, due to the time change I got there later than I normally do, which was not fun. It was hot, crowded and the ATM machines were broken so I waited in line for an hour to get some cash. Oy. Right before I was about to leave empty-handed (and frustrated) I came across these colorful coiled baskets. To my surprise and delight they were $15 each so I snatched up 5 of them. The man who sold them to me told me that they are from the Republic of Burundi,  a region of East Africa, bordered by Rwanda, Tanzania and Democratic Republic of the Congo.  The colors and patterns mesmerized me. Picking which five I wanted was not easy.

burndi-2 baskets-burundi baskets-burundi-2

As soon as I got home I hung them in our living room. Now I’m determined to fill that whole portion of the wall with baskets. If you’re looking for similar baskets I found some by searching “coiled African Baskets” on Etsy. Happy start to the week!!

xxJ



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2n1Gref

No comments:

Post a Comment