Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Before & After — Our Bluhemian Lounge

Before-after-lounge

When we last spoke about our lounge room, we had just bought our new sectional from Jonathan Louis. The hardwood floors had been unearthed from underneath that carpet and had been refinished. The room was in pretty good shape after that:
Justina Blakeney Blue Room - The Jungalow

While I was happy with the way the room looked, from the beginning I knew I wanted to wallpaper the room in my Aja Teal wallpaper. To prep for the wallpaper we had to flatten the walls (it’s hard to tell here but if you look at the top photo you’ll see that there is wood paneling on the walls). We had to fill in all the grooves with grout in order to make the walls completely flat. We also had to remove the air-conditioner wall unit and then patch up the hole in the wall. Once that was done we had the wallpaper installed. And when we finally got the wallpaper up a few things happened. First of all I was giddy. The paper is really, really pretty.

wallpaper

But then, all of the sudden, with a teal wall and teal sofa, the blue rug and blue curtains had to go. It was all looking a little too blue and we needed some contrasting colors to balance it all out. I loved the way the orange trim of our house looked against the teal so I thought I might bring in some warmer tones.

Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-3

I found this rug on eBay for less than $100. I initially bought it thinking I’d use it to reupholster this chair I have that needs recovering, but since I had it I just tried in in here and actually loved the way it warmed up the space.

Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-1

Beforehand, e were using this bentwood side table as a night stand, but since we had a new custom headboard with built-in nightstands, we brought the table in here and it worked perfectly as a little table for underneath the window. Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-6

We found the fabric for the curtains at Michael Levine in DTLA and I hemmed them and hung them with simple curtain rings. We picked a ‘patterned neutral’ that wouldn’t compete with the wallpaper. I found the white hanging planters on our trip to Ojai, remember? And the weird rams head (I’m an aries and obsessed with all things ram) I found on Chairish.

Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-11
Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-9

The pillows layered in front are mostly all from my collection with Loloi.

Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-7   Justina-Blakeney-blue-room-10
The white ladder helps to balance out the white in the planters and the trims/ceiling of the room.
Here’s a little get the look:
bluhemia-lounge

Aja Teal Wallpaper
Jonathan Adler Sputnik Lamp
Jonathan Louis Sectional 
Pillows from The Justina Blakeney X Loloi collection
Rattan Side Table
Ceramic Zebra
Chakki Table (Similar/ West Elm Version here).
Wooden Curtain Rod
Rectangular Curtain Rings
Rug (similar)



from The Jungalow http://ift.tt/2a8PeTw

No comments:

Post a Comment