Monday, October 8, 2018

New Jungalow by Justina Blakeney fabrics

With my passion for color, pattern and texture, it’s should come as no surprise that I’m totally crazy for textiles. Having the opportunity to design my own line of Jungalow by Justina Blakeney  fabrics has been a dream of mine for what feels like forever — but could probably be traced back to my first sewing class at the tender age of eight years old. Sure, back then I was making scrunchies, clothes for my dolls and lopsided pillows, but still, even then, I remember feeling mesmerized by all the different weaves, patterns, colors and nubby textures that were on the fabrics and thinking about customizing, mixing and matching contrasting fabrics together.

 

Today, I’m excited share images from our recent photoshoot with Inside Out Performance Fabrics. This was a really fun shoot to produce, but it was also really challenging since we were really starting with a blank slate. Once we found the location everything else sort of fell into place.

The house that we shot in was this gorgeous old estate about 10 miles from my home that was built by German immigrant, August Furst in 1936. There were rumors surrounding the home that it had been used for Nazi spies during World War II, so while my team and I were there we had fun running around the home knowing that those Nazis were probably rolling around in their graves as a host of black folks, Jews, and gay folks covered the place in colorful textiles ;)

For this shoot, we paired geometric motifs with botanical motifs to create a fun, layered look. But by focusing on fabrics in one color family, it’s easier to get away with a lot of layering without things looking too hectic.


Oh hey girl hey :D!

Couldn’t resist sharing this pic of my boy Dabito who shot these pics for us. We always have so much fun when we work together!



Also love this snap of me and Christy. Christy is from the mill where the fabrics are woven and is a super talented designer who helped me develop the collections.

I’m very excited that these fabrics are now available at Calico Corners. You can go in store or order the fabrics online and I always have fun with their nifty software where you can preview product in the different fabrics.

Thanks to everyone who helped us with this shoot! We had two Uhauls full of just plants for this! Ha!

Photos by Dabito
Fabrics Avaiable at Calico Corners



from Jungalow https://ift.tt/2yn7X9G

No comments:

Post a Comment